I suppose we all have them. Rules, that is. As a nation we vote on them (seatbelts required!), as a society we decide on them (no eating off strangers plates!), as a family we form them (underwear is NOT to be discussed at the dinner table!), and as an individual we create them (No sharing drinks!). I get it. Not that Kirsten is all that big on following these rules. And that can be a problem.
An even bigger problem is that Kirsten is a mastermind at creating her own rules! We have the ‘One-pair’ rule, ‘Two-stop’ rule, ‘No ‘no” rule, ‘Time is non-negotiable’ rule, ‘Calendars are magical’ rule, ‘Keep moving!’ rule, ‘No-more-Oprah’ rule, ‘Seasonal clothing’ rule, ‘Patterns are to be followed’ rule, ‘No black pants!’ rule, ‘Neat and tidy’ rule, ‘Daily outing’ rule, …and that’s just a small sampling!
I’m convinced these rules are a way for Kirsten to feel some semblance of control. To break them causes varying amounts of anxiety. And anxiety leads to …not a pretty picture. Exactly. So I accept the fact that we will have a few (hah!) extra rules in our house. I’d just like to have a little say in what they will be…
To invoke veto power, identifying these rules early on is KEY. So, me being a smarty (okay, fine… me having learned the hard way…), I am vigilant regarding any newly formed rules. I will resist the practice if:
1) It is dangerous (seatbelts are NOT optional!)
2) It is unmanageable (I WISH writing ‘new house’ on the calendar made it so!)
If Kirsten’s Law passes my litmus test, I am perfectly willing to abide.
- It may require extra diligence to leave for the school bus at 9:02 (not 9:01:59 or 9:02:01. Don’t even THINK about suggesting such a thing).
- It may require extra planning while shopping as we must keep moving, select no-more-than 5 items, and exit quickly (thank God for self-checkouts!).
- And it may require extra laundry-time as clothing items are only to be worn ONCE …even if only worn for 5 minutes.
Yes, I am a good citizen in the world of Kirsten.
Your turn! Do you have a rule-maker in your home?